The African Genetic Biocontrol Consortium is calling for abstract submissions for the 1st Global Congress on New and Emerging Genetic Biocontrol Technologies, which will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from August 28 to September 2, 2023. The congress will bring together experts from around the world to exchange knowledge and share learnings across diverse disciplines related to genetic biocontrol technologies through courses, workshops, presentations, and symposia.
The main theme of the event will be “Emerging genetic biocontrol technologies: progress made in the science, research, testing, and environmental release of experimental genetically modified biocontrol products”. The organization is calling for proposals centered around this theme and will be accepting abstracts until Sunday, April 30.
The Consortium is accepting two types of abstracts: scientific and symposia abstracts. Submissions for abstracts exploring the main theme as well as the following sub-themes are welcome:
- Genetics and genetic engineering tools
- Public health
- Agriculture, conservation, livestock, and wildlife health
- Approaches and disease-carrying insects
- Biosafety, Biosecurity and Biocontainment
- One health
- Training and capacity building
- Policy and Regulatory science of field trials and releases
- Classical biocontrol
- Non-genetic/Wolbachia studies
- Stakeholder and public engagement
- Quality control and certification of facilities
- Mathematical modeling
- Risk Assessment and decision-making
- Science communication
- Leadership, governance, and related management issues
- Innovation, stewardship, entrepreneurship, and related topics
- Product registration and labelling of GM products.
For more information on the abstract submission system, visit the African Genetic Biocontrol Consortium’s Congress Website.