THE AFRICA CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL DECLARES EBOLA OUTBREAK IN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO AND UGANDA AN EMERGENCY AS CRISIS UNFOLDS.
Summary
- Africa CDC declared a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security
- World Health Organisation says 600 cases are suspected
- Up to 139 deaths recorded in growing Ebola outbreak
- WHO warns that numbers are expected to rise
- US$ 3.4 million approved from the Contingency Fund for Emergencies, bringing the total to US$ 3.9 million
On 15 May 2026, Africa CDC reported an outbreak of Ebola disease in Ituri Province, DRC. Laboratory analysis at Institut National de Recherche Biomedicale of DRC identified Bundibugyo virus (BDBV). BDBV disease is a rare disease but can cause outbreaks with high case fatality rates. Considering the available information and complicated context, the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 17 May 2026. Africa CDC declared a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security (PHECS) on 18 May 2026.
H.E. Dr Jean Kaseya, Director General of Africa CDC, emphasised the urgency of coordinated continental action: “Today, we declare this PHECS to mobilise our institutions, our collective will, and our resources to act swiftly and decisively. The confirmation of the Bundibugyo ebolavirus in interconnected countries reminds us once again that Africa’s health security is indivisible. We must act early, act together, and act based on science.”
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) as of 20 May 2026, approximately 600 suspected cases had been reported, including 139 deaths among suspected cases. Fifty-one confirmed cases had been reported in DRC and two imported cases in Uganda
In a briefing on May 20, 2026, the Director- General of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was the first time a Director-General had declared a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security (PHEIC) before convening an Emergency Committee.
“I took this step in accordance with Article 12 of the International Health Regulations, after consulting the Ministers of Health of DRC and Uganda, and in view of the need for urgent action. I determined that the situation was not a pandemic emergency, which is the new and highest classification under the amended International Health Regulations.”
So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, in the northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, including in the cities of Bunia and Goma – although the scale of the epidemic in DRC is known to be much larger.
The WHO took the steps noting that there are several factors that warrant serious concern about the potential for further spread and further deaths, as outlined below:
- Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths.
- The epidemic has expanded, with cases reported in several urban areas.
- Deaths have been reported among health workers, indicating healthcare-associated transmission.
- There is significant population movement in the area.
In order to support emergency response, the Director noted that the WHO has approved an additional US$ 3.4 million from the Contingency Fund for Emergencies, bringing the total to US$ 3.9 million.
Health authorities say the outbreak is being fuelled by the Bundibugyo strain, a type of Ebola virus for which no vaccine or treatment exists.
SOURCE:
https://www.who.int/news-room/speeches/item/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-ebola-outbreak-in-drc-and-uganda-20-may-2026
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/ebola-virus-disease-outbreak-democratic-republic-congo-and-uganda
